Beat, the UK's eating disorder charity, has teamed up with NHS Lothian to deliver online peer support, thanks to funding from the Scottish Government.
One-to-one email support
Our volunteer befrienders have been trained by Beat, and will provide one-to-one online peer support in the form of 1-3 emails per week. Beat's befrienders are volunteers who have recovered from their own eating disorder and are aged between 18 - 35 years old. Your befriender will offer a listening ear, provide encouragement and signpost to other services that might be helpful during your journey. All contact will be moderated by Beat staff as everyone's safety is our priority.
What to expect from our befrienders:
- 1 to 3 emails per week
- A listening ear
- Signposting to other services that might be helpful during your journey
- Service users can receive support for up to one year but can of course end support at any time before this point, when the time feels right for them
Introducing our befrienders:
- Trained by Beat, the UK's eating disorder charity
- Individuals aged 18 to 35 who have recovered from an eating disorder
Am I eligible?
- I am a young person with an eating disorder in Scotland and I am 12 to 25 years old
How to access the support:
Email email@example.com or visit www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/SHARED to register for the service.